Gain a deeper understanding of the power of Drupal in this beginners course
Just stepped into a position where you make website updates and want a greater understanding of what Drupal can do?
This beginning Drupal course will give you the tools to use layout builder to create webpages that are accessible, responsive and help your audience find what they need. Learn from the ground up how to build or edit your Drupal 9 website using Layout Builder. Class size is limited. The session will be very hands-on and interactive with screen sharing. Prepare to have fun.
Prerequisite: Web Accessibility Training
Prior to taking any Drupal Course, you need to complete the Basic Web Accessibility Training (approximately 4 hours to complete). Once completed, please contact WebHelp to request permissions for the website you will be working on. Please include your full name, your CAS user name, and the website URL to gain permissions at least 1 day before your scheduled class. If you have already taken this class, please let us know what quarter it was completed.
For the Best Training Experience
To get the most our of this class, please join us when you have access to high speed internet with the following hardware:
- Desktop computer with one or more monitors. Laptops work fine, but can be more challenging to navigate on.
- Camera & microphone
We talk as a group throughout the class, just as if we were face to face in a classroom. Please plan to have your camera on throughout the session.
Upcoming Courses Date and Time
- Tuesday, August 2, 9 - 11 a.m.
- Wednesday August 3, 9 - 11 a.m.
- Wednesday September 7, 9 - 11 a.m.
- Thursday September 8, 9 - 11 a.m.
Sign up for the course
To sign up for the beginning Drupal Course send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following:
- Your name
- Your department
- The website URL you expect to work in.
- Preferred date of class.
- When you completed the accessibility training (or best guess).
(This last item saves us the step of emailing you back to ask if you've taken the course and when.)
Course highlights include:
- Using Edit versus Layout Builder – when/why to use and the Pros and Cons of each
- Drupal Vocabulary
- How to add and edit a basic page of content using layout builder
- How to publish/unpublish a page
- Adding content to pages using styles: background colors, title and/or body copy styles
- Heading Structure, best practices
- Including alt text on images
- Using Media library: to embed images, documents or add a YouTube or Vimeo file
- Working with multi-columns layout and using Drag and Drop for content positioning
- How to add html code to telephone numbers and emails for accessibility and good user experience
- Adding links to uploaded content (using meaningful titles).
- Adding Call to Action links internally (using Linkit) and externally
- Q&A for specific questions you may have about your site.
Feel free to bring any questions or specific changes you may want on your department website and we’ll try to answer them at this session.
Additional Training Opportunities
Drupal Team Training
If you and one or more team members would like a customized training, we now offer Drupal Team Training. All members of your team must complete the required accessibility course before taking the training.
We'll find a date and time that works for you and your team and dive in focusing on the specific elements that apply to your website, including custom content types. If you and your team have a specific project in mind, please email email@example.com with details so we can offer the best solution and craft the appropriate training for your team.
Advanced Drupal Training
The Advanced Drupal course continues where the Beginning Drupal course left off, including controlling the look and feel of a website using more advanced blocks available like Banners and Headlines. This hands-on training will show you how to build and implement custom blocks, best practices for table accessibility and will dive into the array of custom styles available on the Ashlar theme to visually fine tune your website.