Provide transcripts for audio/video-only content
Applicable Role(s): Content Creator
Transcripts are helpful for a variety of users. Users that are deafblind, or learn best by reading text-based content can access media through a transcript. For audio only content like podcasts, transcripts make it accessible for deaf/hard-of-hearing users or users with hearing loss.
Additionally, people who want to skim the content before watching the whole video can do so with a transcript. Users on bad WiFi connections or cellular data may have difficulty accessing video or audio, so transcripts can provide a text-based version of the same content.
- Include or link to the transcript near the video
- Include speaker identifiers when introducing new speakers or when the speaker changes
- Provide descriptions of visuals that aren't conveyed through audio
- Example: [00:08:30] A yellow finch flies through the window
- Provide description of key audio elements in the video
- Example: [00:02:00] 🎵 "Where We Come Alive" by Ruelle 🎵
President's Statement of Solidarity
A11y Rules Podcast
Each episode page includes the transcript near the episode's audio file.